Today on MyAnimeGuru we are going to talk about the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
I am a huge fan of demon slayer and I also wanted the answer to the question. What are the Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer?
So, today we are finally going to see if Tanjiro’s sun breathing through which he cut an upper twelve demon’s head is strongest or if there is someone else waiting in the shadows with his sword.
One thing to note is that we are judging the breath style here not the users of the breath style.
The reason is while one character can use a stronger breathing technique still he can be defeated by an experienced hashira user with a weaker breathing technique.
People strayed from sun breathing and developed new styles because those styles bring out their abilities the most.
While Goku’s dad tells us about the fact that sun breathing is the first and most robust breathing technique.
He tells us that all other breathing techniques are merely variations and all those styles are nothing more than imitations of sun breathing.
He believed that if you’re not a sun breather, you are pretty much useless. It is still true to his initial info about sun breathing being the strongest breath.
So, we are going to talk about Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
Table of Contents
Origin of breathing techniques
In upper moon one Kokushibo’s backstory, it’s once more explained that no one could match Yoriichi the sun breather.
And so to suit each person’s skills and capabilities Yoriichi changed the breathing technique he taught.
Thus techniques derived from sun breathing came one after the other.
But that doesn’t mean anyone who can use sun breathing is automatically stronger than anyone who can use stone breathing.
It all depends on the skillset and experience of the user of any of the five most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer that we are going to talk about in this article.
Every demon slayer fan has this question in his mind, what are the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer that is the question we are going to answer today.
Let’s have a look at five of the Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer
The Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer are:
- Thunder Breathing
- Wind Breathing
- Stone Breathing
- Moon Breathing
- Sun Breathing
Let’s talk about them in detail and get to know about the origin and forms of all the powerful styles.
5. Thunder Breathing
Fast as lightning, Thunder breathing is one of the five main derivatives of sun breathing. It also has one branch breath style which is sound breathing.
A signature breath style created and used by only Tengen Uzui the sound pillar.
The known users are Zenitsu Agatsuma (one of the main characters), Kaigaku who was Zenetsu senior, and Jigoro kuwajima who was Zenitsuz and Kaigaku’s teacher.
Thunder breathing’s movements, techniques, and abilities resemble thunder in all its forms. Specializing in swift strikes and movements. As actual lightning strikes even to the point of giving off the sound of thunder in its techniques.
Zenitsu activates his strength when he is unconscious and that is why he doesn’t know that he is the user of one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
Its forms involve super speeds to overwhelm the enemy and slash their sword within the blink of an eye. When utilized the user visualize themselves manipulating and controlling lightning as they slash their sword.
Manga states that this form of combat focuses heavily on channeling strength through one’s legs to maximize output and speed.
The origins of Thunder breathing date back to the golden age of the demon slayer corpse. Like every other origin story, Thunder breathing came to be as well.
Thunder breathing has seven known forms to it. But a very important disclaimer before it. Forms two through six are all performed by Kaigaku as a demon and are only shown and demonstrated while Kaigaku infused the blood demon arts into the Thunder breathing he learned. It is the fifth Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
So just keep in mind all the forms you see performed by kaigaku are not the actual original thunder breath forms and are heavily enhanced by the blood demon art
- First Form is thunderclap and flash which is a fast dash forward with an extremely fast sword slash as lightning.
This style is different from the rest and I have to point out that it also has three different variations. The six-fold is the same thing but just stronger, faster, and performed six times in a row. Then there’s The eight-fold. Which is the same thing again but eight times in a row and just buff in strength and speed. And the last variation is Godspeed. Which is again the same thing but just a boss-mode version of it. With it being the strongest of all these augmented ones this variation was even used against Muzan by Zenitsu.
- The Second Form is rice spirit. It’s where Kaigaku unleashes five electrified arching slashes at the same time.
- The Third Form is a thundering swarm which is where Kaigaku surrounds his target with numerous waves of electricity and sword slashes in all directions to slice his enemy.
- The Fourth Form is distant thunder which is another multiple lightning strike type of attack in several directions. Except this form has a much longer range attacking at a longer distance than the previous ones then.
- The Fifth Form is heat lightning which is where kaigaku unleashes one powerful concentrated electrified sword slash from a ranged distance that if it hits sizzles the flesh of the target.
- The Sixth Form is rumble and flash. Another long-ranged multiple lightning strike type of attack with no variation or uniqueness to it. A lot of these are pretty similar and do the same thing just at different ranges.
- The Seventh Form flaming thunder god is zenitsu’s secret form that he created himself. Which is essentially just his first form of thunderclap and flash but a much stronger and faster version of it. Consisting of a quick dash forward and a single powerful slash.
It is definitely one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
4. Wind Breathing
One of the most Powerful Wind breathing is one of the five main derivatives of sun breathing. Along with deriving from the sun’s breath it also has two branch breathing styles: the beast and mist breathing.
We haven’t seen Sanemi in action yet but we definitely know that he is a Hashira capable of wielding one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
The known users are of course Sanemi Shinazugawa (the wind pillar) and Masachika Kumeno. Who if you’re not familiar with them, was the demon slayer who encountered Sanemi as a younger kid. While they were both going after the same demon. Masachika sees talent in Sanemi and directed him toward a cultivator very similar to Tanjiro to Mr. Urokodaki.
Cultivator is a retired demon slayer training and preparing the trainees to be strong demon slayers. He’s training all the youngsters who want to be one as well.
Its movements, techniques, and abilities resemble the wind with all of its forms taking the shape of whirlwinds and tornadoes. Strikes can utilize the air around them with enough attack power to manipulate the wind in a certain direction.
See Also – Where to watch anime for free?
Its strengths are its emphasis on offensive attacks as opposed to defensive ones. Most of its forms use rotating movements to generate swift whirlwind-like slashes. That increase the user’s striking speed and power greatly.
The origins of wind breathing date back to the golden age of the demon slayer corpse when Yoriichi honed in on each of his comrade’s strengths and weaknesses to teach them derivative breath styles that later were named by each user.
And this is exactly how wind breathing came to be as well. It is the fourth Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
Talkin about the forms, Wind breathing has nine forms.
- The First Form is a dust whirlwind cutter. Which is an extremely fast dash forward while simultaneously slashing in a horizontal cyclone pattern.
- The Second Form is clawed purifying wind. This is where the user unleashes four vertical slashes that appear as claws striking down.
- The Third Form is a clean storm wind tree. A whirlwind of slashes gets released all around slicing everything in the surroundings.
- The Fourth Form is a rising dust storm. Several slashes get unleashed above the user from below the enemy.
- The Fifth Form is cold mountain wind. Which are multiple circular arch slashes that increase in size from above the target.
- The Sixth Form is a black wind mountain mist. Which is an uppercut slash that creates a tornado of smaller slashes that quickly get performed in conjunction.
- The Seventh Form is gale sudden gusts. The user leaps into the air while swinging their blades generating strong gale winds that shred anything apart.
- The Eighth Form is the primary gale slash. Which is another leap that consists of large circular slashes that generate torrents of wind to slice the target.
- The Ninth Form is the Idaten typhoon. This is where the user backflips into the air and unleashes a gust of circular slashes that tear apart everything.
3. Stone Breathing
This breathing style is one of the five main derivatives of sun breathing in the popular anime and manga demon slayer.
Out of all of the other five main derivative breath styles, the stone is the only one without a branch breath style as you could see every single other one other than the moon of course has its branches. But Stone doesn’t have any.
It only has one known user as well which is Gyoume Himejima the seven-foot big boy stone pillar. But through stone breathing’s movements techniques and abilities, it resembles the earth and stone with all its techniques utilizing a large area around the user as well as the ground to work in their favor.
This style heavily relies on the physical strength of the user.
That is why not everyone in the manga as well as in the anime is capable of learning this breathing technique. Where all the known users use large weapons to perform their techniques, Gyoume wields an ax and flail.
To use this breathing style you have to have immense physical strength. Also, stone breathing is the only breath style in the five main derivatives that don’t have a visual effect to it either when used.
The origins of stone breathing date back to the golden age of the demon slayer corpse which was when Yoriichi Tsugikuni, the progenitor of all breath styles joined the demon slayer corpse and attempted to teach all of his comrades the sun breathing.
But no one was capable of doing so due to lacking the raw talent of Yoriichi. Since it requires a lot of strength and physical abilities just to practice this technique making it one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
So instead Yoriichi honed in on each of his comrade’s strengths and weaknesses to teach them derivative breath styles that were later named by each user and this is exactly how stone breathing came to be as well with the previous stone hashira being the first to learn this breath style and passed it down generation through the generation of demon slayers.
It is the third Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer. One of the most dangerous and most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
Stone breathing has five known forms all showcased by Gyoume Himejima
- The First form is serpentine bipolar which is where Gyoume throws both the ax and flail ends of his weapon but hands-on onto the chain to manipulate the direction where the ax and flail go to hit his target.
- The Second Form is an upper smash. Gyoume throws the flail end of the weapon into the air and steps on the chain to smash the opponent.
- The Third Form is stone skin which is where Gyoume uses the ax end of his weapon to slash at multiple targets to either defend from attacks or hit multiple enemies.
- The Fourth Form is volcanic rock rapid conquest which is where Gyoume grabs onto the chains of both ends of his weapon to whip them around for a pincer wide-ranged attack.
- The Fifth Form is arcs of justice. A barrage of smashes was caused by Gyoume’s flail and ax attacking in a flowing fashion the ax hitting the target first with the flail following in a momentous slam.
2. Moon Breathing
The first derivative of Sun Breathing, Moon breathing is said to be the second strongest breathing style out of the many in the popular anime demon slayer.
It has only one user which is Kokushibo and even though he did use this skill as a human we only get to see the moon breathing in action after Kokushibo is turned into a demon and infused his blood demon art into its forms.
Kokushibo was the user of one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer. No one other than him could have mastered it.
Moon breathing’s movements techniques and abilities symbolize the moon and out of all the breath styles in the whole story, moon breathing has the clearest and most concise representation with all techniques in this form taking the shape and pattern of a crescent moon.
Its strengths are its swift powerful strikes and have no direct weakness to it. It is the closest blend of offense and defense most similar to sun breathing. Since he can’t master the sun breathing he trained and developed a style that is one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
The origins of the Moon breath style start back with Michikatsu Tsugikuni who was the name of Kokushibo before he was turned into a demon.
Michikatsu was Yoriichi’s twin brother and if you happen to not be familiar with Yoriichi, he is the original breath user being the progenitor of all other breaths.
In hopes to match Yoriichi’s supernatural gifted strength though Michikatsu had his brother teach him sun breathing but just as how all other of Yoriichi’s comrades ended up.
He lacked the raw talent and skill of his brother so, Yoriichi honed in on Michikatsu’s strengths and weaknesses to teach him a derivative style of sun breathing which was then later on named moon breathing. It is the second Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
After becoming a demon however Kokushibo would refine his moon breathing along with infusing his newfound power of blood demon arts into his technique to create one of if not the most powerful breathing styles in history. Definitely the deadliest and most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
Moon breathing added with the blood demon art Kokushibo was able to create 16 forms of the moon breath
- The first Form is the dark moon evening palace. A horizontal forward slash leaves a trail of chaotic crescent moon blades created with mixing blood demon art.
- The second Form is pearl flower moon gazing which is a technique where Kokushibo releases multiple crescent-shaped slashes which send smaller projectile crescent blades at the opponent.
- The Third Form is loathsome moon chains where Kokushibo slashes his sword in two massive crescent-shaped slashes that create their storm of crescent blades in a small compact area.
- The Fifth Form is moon spirit calamitous eddy which is where Kokushibo releases a layered barrage of curved slashes forming a rising vortex of crescent moon blades.
- The Sixth Form is a perpetual knight lonely moon which is a fierce storm of crescent-shaped slashes that reach several meters in front of him causing a large area of damage.
- The Seventh Form is mir of misfortune moonlit which is when Kokushibo changes the size of a sword.
- The Eighth Form is a moon dragon ringtail which is a technique where Kokushibo swings his elongated sword to create a gigantic crescent-shaped slash that slowly decreases in size while creating dozens of crescent moon blades.
- The Ninth Form is waning moon suaves. A barrage of long-ranged curved vertical and horizontal slashes creates numerous crescent moon blades along the way.
- The Tenth Form is drilling slashes of the moon through the bamboo leaves which is a triple-layered long-range twister full of smaller crescent moon blades within them.
- The Fourteenth Form is a catastrophe tenman crescent moon which is where Kokushibo creates a vortex of long-range slashes in all directions destroying anything within its path.
- The Sixteenth Form is moonbow half moon which is six downward crescent slashes that strike from the longest range out of all of his previous forms that heavily relies on his blood demon art more than the others because of the sheer length and width Kokushibo is striking at.
All of these forms are made and infused with blood demon art.
So don’t take any of these and think that just a normal human like Giyu or any hashira could know this or perform these abilities.
Because all of these are infused with not only moon breathing but also blood demon arts just in case you’re wondering how he would be able to perform all of these with just a normal sword. Yeah these are infused with the magic blood demon
1. Sun Breathing (The most powerful breathing style in Demon Slayer)
Yoriichi Tsugikuni’s Sun breathing is the progenitor of all breaths along with it being the first original breathing style. It is also the strongest and uncontestedly remains atop the breath food chain.
Tanjiro doesn’t recognize the strength and willpower inside him that is going to make him the user of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer. Keeping his legacy and accidentally awakening the sun breathing as Hinokami kagura one time, he doesn’t know that this is one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
Other common names for sun breathing are Hinokami kagura and the Dance of the fire god depending on the translation. Four known notable users are all members of the comodo family except for Yoriichi Tsugikuni.
But other than Yoriichi however Tanjuro(Tanjiros Father), Tanjiro, and Sumiyoshi are the rest of the users.
It symbolizes the sun. Its 12 forms are the most effective against demons for leaving long-lasting scars on their immortal bodies. Which is not possible with any other breath style.
But moving on the origins of the dance of the fire god starts with Yoriichi Tsugikuni. He was born with supernatural abilities and developed a breathing style on his own.
He, later on, passed it down to Sumiyoshi a descendant of the Kamado family through the hanafuda earrings and the 12-form dance that Sumiyoshi was taught by Yoriichi.
The Kamado family was chosen to be the successors of sun users. With the dance and earrings getting passed down generation through generation. This is one of the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer.
As I mentioned before the style has 12 forms originally but Yoriichi combined all of them into one to create the 13th form.
- Form 1 is a dance that is just a vertical slash.
- Form 2 is a clear blue sky which is a circle 360-degree horizontal slash.
- Form 3 is raging sun which is two back-to-back horizontal slashes.
- Form 4 is burning bones summer sun which is a large-scale circular forward slash.
- Form 5 is setting sun transformation. Mid-air upended slash involving a backflip as well when used by Tanjiro.
- Form 6 is solar heat haze. A horizontal slash charged by a quick thrust forward. But this one is much more complicated than the previous forms. The slash with this move acts like bait with the strike being hazy and not clear. Seemingly looks like it’s going to miss and come up short in the opponent’s eyes but ends up connecting.
- Form 7 is beneficient radiance which is a spiraling slash in the air that surrounds the opponent.
- Form 8 is sunflower thrust. A direct forward thrust of the blade.
- Form 9 is a dragon sun halo head dance that’s a hell of a name. It’s a series of quick continuous flowing slashes that take the form of a solar sun dragon.
- Form 10 is a fire wheel which is just a circular vertical 360-degree slash.
- Form 11 is a fake rainbow. A form specializes in evasion with the user performing high-speed twists and rotations creating after images that are used to either create an opening for an attack or dodge attacks also.
- Form 12 is a flame dance which is another two-slash move but involves a vertical slash and a horizontal slash following.
- Form 13 with no actual name other than that but it’s just combining all the forms into one flowing combo. It was specifically created for the sole purpose of defeating Muzan‘s abnormal body properties.
It is the Most Powerful Breathing Styles In Demon Slayer.
Since there are so many breathing styles in demon slayer, selecting one of them as the strongest is quite a difficult task as it depends a lot on the user itself. But, if we are talking about the originality and the chances of a lethal strike then this article can be used as a reference to measure the power levels of different breathing styles.
Which is the Most Powerful Breathing Style In Demon Slayer?
Sun Breathing is the most powerful breathing style in demon slayer as it is the very original breathing style and all other styles are just mere applications and derivatives of sun breathing.
But, this article contains information about the most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer including sun breathing. The 5 most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer can directly rival that of an inexperienced sun-breathing user. Doesn’t matter if it is a user of sun breathing, he can easily be beaten by any of these 5 most powerful breathing styles in demon slayer if the sun-breathing user is inexperienced.
What is Tanjiro’s strongest breathing style?
Tanjiro’s strongest breathing style is Dance of the fire god or Breath of the sun. Also known as, Hinokami Kagura. It is the strongest breathing style in demon slayer.
What is the strongest form of Water breathing in demon slayer?
Constant Flux is believed to be the strongest form of water breathing in demon slayer.
Which breathing technique is the strongest?
Sun breathing is the progenitor of all breaths along with it being the first original breathing style. It is also the strongest and uncontestedly remains atop the breath food chain.
What is the strongest moon-breathing form?
The sixteenth form, Moonbow half moon is said to be the strongest moon-breathing form. But there are controversies as it relies heavily on Kokishibo’s blood demon art.
What is the 2nd strongest breathing in demon slayer?
Moon breathing is the 2nd strongest breathing in demon slayer. It is the first derivative of sun breathing and is a direct competitor to it too.